Monday 3 September 2012

Building the kitchen


As I mentioned in the previous post, I found a perfect little kitchen table at the flea market, which started my dollhouse kitchen.


The copper miniatures are from my existing collection; I think I bought the coffee pot at Portobello Road market in London, although it is made from a Danish coin, as is the oriental teapot. The candle holder is a button. The mug is some unidentifiable metal cap to which I glued a bit of foil. The jar is made from a plastic candle from a Christmas candlestick, with a button glued on top.The little satchel had originally some raw ambers - a typical "what-am-I-going-to-do-with-this-stupid-gift" thing. And the chest is a wooden candy box, another useless souvenir. 


For the next stage, I took all surviving plastic bowls from the Lundby dollhouse and pained them with metallic paint. Lisewise, the measure spoon from baby food, left from the last time we had a baby grandchild visiting. But the best thing I found in a desk drawer was a party game from my childhood containing these tiny wooden kitchen utensils. I made the shelf from a piece of venetian blind, using bits of photo frames as consoles. 


The kitchen was the first room for which I made wallpaper, using splash-painting on ordinary A3 sheet of paper. The washbasin is a tart form, the garbage bin, a plastic cup for salad dressing that I painted black. All jars are made from plastic candles, with metal buttons for lids. The scales are also made from buttons. But I am especially proud of the coffee grinder, made from a wooden brick. It is in no way inferior to ones you can buy from dollhouse suppliers.







I made the wash-board from a candybox bottom, painted it metallic and glued some sticks on.

All this took about a week while I was also going on with other rooms.



1 comment:

  1. I love it! I think that making things from recycled materials is satisfying to the max and how wonderful that you were able to include those tiny wooden utensils saved from your childhood- makes this collection even more special!

    ReplyDelete