Saturday, 26 January 2013

Chippendale desk

The next piece of furniture that I made was the most complicated so far, even though I have certainly developed some skills during the past few weeks.


I anticipated that it would be complicated because it has hinged top, and mini-hinges are a very delicate job. In fact it is one bit of miniature making that I actively dislike because I am not good at it. I wonder why they couldn't cut hinge slots when they have all the other tiny details. It would have made this step so much easier. I considered for a moment to use strips of leather for hinges as you can do with mini-doors, but that would make this exquisite piece look clumsy.

This is one of the occasions when having good tools is essential. When I had eventually managed to cut the slots and started to insert the unprintable half-millimeter screws into unprintable holes through unprintable hinges, I discovered that my smallest screwdriver was not small enough so I ended up working the screws with my mini craft knife which was the unprintable of a job. I was exhausted when I finished and almost gave up on continuing that evening, but I had to reward myself for being so persistent.


Assembling the frame was easy. 



Then came a step that demands dexterity and patience, but nothing like the unprintable hinges. Keyholes and handles for drawers - and I had earlier done this with the night stand



I had to leave the assembled desk and drawers overnight to set. 


Then I gave it a coat of varnish.



Here it is in the interior, with the top cabinet in place. Now I only need some teeny-tiny objects to put into drawers and pens and stationary for the desk top.




2 comments:

  1. Så himla fint! Jag måste bara fråga var du köper dina byggsatser, jag har ett skåp och två stolar som verkar vara av byggsats.

    ReplyDelete