Saturday, 18 June 2016

Candle stands

After last weekend's complicated wardrobe I decided to make something simple and chose candlestands. I made a Queen Anne candlestand three years ago, among the very first pieces I made. It is very delicate, and you cannot put much on it except candles. The Chippendale and Hepplewhite stands are more robust.


However, the intricate process of gluing on legs at 120 degrees is the same. I am not very good at it.

I will not show step-by-step pictures because they are not very exciting. I wasn't sure whether the pedestals and legs were exactly the same in the two kits, but they were, so I could make all four pieces at the same time. I used four or five coats of  brown mahogany stain on the table surfaces, plus two coats of varnish. Here is the result:

I have tested two of them in rooms, to carry lamps:


I am not quite happy because they are very pretty and you cannot really see them in the background (even when I have removed some objects to take pictures). I would particularly like the octagonal and the serpentine stands to be displayed properly, but haven't decided yet how, so you will have to come back and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment