Saturday 28 June 2014

Sofa makeover

You can tell it is Saturday and raining because I am finishing some of the projects I started a while ago. I bought this sofa in a charity shop, together with some other furniture.


I don't need another sofa; in fact, I have no space for another sofa, but I had to buy it of course. It had no legs, and I think the fabric is wrong: far too large pattern for a miniature. So the first thing I did was to strip it off.


I had a piece of fabric that I had bought several years ago in a hobbyshop in Norway. All these years I couldn't find a way to use it, but it was just perfect for this sofa.

Now, I have made several sofas in different techniques. My very first sofa was also one of my very first miniatures, and as I look at it now, I am still pleased with it. I have refurbished a modern sofa by simply glueing fabric onto it. I made a sofa from cardboard (now discarded). I made a wooden kitchen sofa from kit. I pained a plastic sofa to make it look nice. And I also made the Chippendale sofa. You would think that I was well equipped to make another one, but each miniature is unique (unless you mass-produce them of course). Therefore I made all the mistakes I possibly could.



I started by making the seat as the least complicated, but of course I should have started with the arms. I considered making padded arms, but gave up, since by that time I had made both the seat and the back, and there was no room for padded arms. I read my description of the Chippendale sofa carefully, and I had the sofa in front of me, even though it wasn't particularly helpful.


I took no more pictures of the process because it was all straightforward so I will just show the final result. I have nice wooden beads that would make good legs, but I decided that you cannot see the legs anyway so I just took small wooden blocks.



To compare, side by side, before and after:



2 comments:

  1. I adore your blog, I spend HOURS reading it ALL ! You may like a facebook group, called 'Lundby Lovers'. I know you have outgrown Lundby, those of us that did not grow up in Sweden have only recently had access to Lundby so it is a novelty for me. Within the Lundby Lovers are people who are experts on dolls house vintage furniture of all makes, and can usually identify unknown pieces. many of the group are Swedish and there are also other European members, so I think you might like to join. Best regards, LesleyB
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/33596892200/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed it. Please spread the word. Yes, I know about Lundby Lovers. But do you know that Lundby started in the UK, as Barton? I have quite a few Barton items in my retro house, and they fit nicely with Lundby. It's a fascinating story. And are you familiar with the book Scandinavian Design in the Doll's House? It's all about Lundby

      Delete