Saturday 5 July 2014

More lucky pieces

It it harder than you might believe to make interesting things with my wooden treasures. Of course I could just paint everything copper, but that would be profoundly unimaginative. I am not in a hurry, and each project is unique.

I went to the hobby shop and, I swear, ran in, bought a jar of pewter paint and ran out to where my husband was waiting in the car. I closed my eyes as I went past all those wonderful things I want to buy.

Thus, pewter jug and tankard, as promised. Very straightforward, just painted with two coats. They will go into the Tudor house. There are some more things potentially pewter, but I will wait and see what else I can think of.


A chamber pot is obviously white (or is it so obvious? I need to check). I decorated it with gold stencils. I have several chamber pots in various materials so I am not sure yet where it will go.


A watering can. I painted it with enamel which I usually avoid because it smells and takes ages to dry. But it made a nice, shiny surface.



A teapot. It is out of scale and probably won't fit anywhere. I could have painted it copper or black and make it a kettle, but it would have been too simple. I am sure I will find somewhere to use it.


Another oil lamp. You can never have too many of these. I first painted it copper, but it didn't look matural, so I gave it a coat of gold, making it look more like brass. Note to oneself: copper + gold = brass. I used bead caps for decoration.



The next two things were unintentional. When I started painting, the wood grain came forward, with a wonderful effect. On the fruit bowl, I enhanced it with gold paint. I gave both a coat of varnish to make them shiny. I pretend it is glass. 




Finally, I repainted the oil-and-vinegar stand and added some interesting details. Isn't it remarkable how a tiny detail makes a miniature look less a miniature and more real!

 


To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment