Sunday, 10 February 2013

Chippendale wing chair

For this project I didn't have any instruction sheet, and somebody had started it and left unfinished. If I hadn't made the sofa I wouldn't have had a clue how to make this chair and what all the templates were for. You might think there is no big deal upholstering a miniature chair - try it next time!

  

The person who started on this project had assembled the legs and apparently given up on upholstery. The smaller templates were torn so I had to make my own. I wasn't sure it would work, but it did.



I knew how to make the sides since it was more or less the same as the sofa: first the edges, then the inside, then the outside.The bottom and the cushion were also easy.

 

But then the trouble began because I couldn't figure out how to make the back, and the sofa instructions were not helpful because it was a completely different construction. I sat for a while staring at the bits. I know I made it wrong because there was a template left so obviously I missed at least one step. But nobody will ever know.


The chair and the sofa go well together, but I am not sure what else will fit in this room. It feels crammed. Even though it is correct scale it feels that the firniture is too massive for the room.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment