Saturday 21 September 2019

Further play with egg shells


I bought this plastic table at a car boot sale. It is part of the IKEA set, which I have, so I knew I was buying it for upcycling.

 

It is 1:6 scale so doesn't fit into any of my current projects, but it doesn't matter because I am just playing. I decided to decorate it with egg-shell mosaic. I have done several egg-shell projects, including a simple coffee table and a Queen Anne table. I thought mosaic would look good on this table, and it just so happened that I chose the same colours as before: white and two shades of green.



For this project, you need shells from three boiled eggs (that is, if you are using three colours as I did), glue, tweezers and a lot of patience. With my first project, I used shiny Humboldt paint that took ages to dry. This time I used ordinary hobby paint, with precisely the same result.

Yes, I glued bits one by one. Yes, it took me four hours. Four hours of quiet, relaxing pleasure. So I don't want to hear how I could have done it quicker. Quicker is not the point of this project.

I used hobby varnish to seal the surface. I am more pleased with this table than the first one because I really made the effort to crush the shells into very, very small pieces.

 


I assure you that this is the only table of its kind in the world. If I were to sell it, the buyer would not pay for plastic, eggs, paint or even the time I put into the project. They would pay for my creativity.



2 comments:

  1. I love the color combinations you chose. Very pretty. And I applaud your patience. I really don't think I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great color combination. It turned out especially well.

    ReplyDelete