Sunday 9 December 2012

Egg-shell mosaic

I have now described all my dollhouses and roomboxes. I have two ongoing projects that I am not ready to share yet, and I also have an empty dollhouse that I haven't yet decided what to do with. Meanwhile, I will show some small projects, for instance, egg-shell mosaic technique that I have learned from my Swedish miniature group. It needs a good deal of patience, good sight and good tools.

I used shells from our boiled breakfast eggs. The trick was to keep as much as possible of the shell whole  - but you don't have to blow eggs as you would do for Easter decorations. I painted three shells with light green, dark green and white acrylic paint. It takes about 24 hours to dry so you cannot do it all on the same day.


You then crush the shells into ever so small bits. It is amazing how small they need to be to look natural. I had to take off too large bits and crush them into smaller ones. There are lots of things you can do with mosaic, and I wanted to make a table. I used a plastic container lid which I filled with clay. I first thought I would simply press the egg bits into the clay, but they were far too delicate. Therefore I simply glued them on. I used tweezers and toothpicks to fix the bits. I did not use any special pattern, just mixed the three colours.




When the tabletop was finished, I used a doorknob for base.


 While I was at it, I also made a vase.



1 comment: