Monday 7 September 2015

Hanging improvements

In my previous post I mentioned how I came up wth the idea of hooks made from champagne wire. When I saw how good it looked I realised that I had to redo the whole kitchen wall with utensils hanging on nails.


There is nothing wrong with it, and it took me a lot of time and energy to put up all these nails, but it doesn't look quite natural. Not after you have seen what it can look like with a proper hook.

I have saved champagne wire for many years. Not that we drink a lot of sparkling, but I always collect wire at parties, to friends' amazement, and I have used wire for many purposes, including the handles of the utensils in the picture above. But apart from the famous bar chairs, I haven't until now come up with any good use of the special shape of the wire.

If you haven't spent a lot of time studying the engineering principles of champagne wire, let me tell you that they are rather complicated. Some wires - I am sure they are from cheap Prosecco -  don't have double tips, and from the hook-making point of view they are worthless. Most wires have three double tips and one where two ends of the wire meet.

The whole process needs good tools and a lot of patience. I need nineteen hooks, and they must be white metal rather than yellow (I may use yellow for another room).


Now I have the hooks, but I need to attach them to the wall and attach firmly so that I can hang things on them. I have holes from the nails, but not large enough for both ends of the wire. I need to bend the ends and then cut off one of the them.


Now I can glue the remaining end into the hole. Each hook takes ten to fifteen minutes. They will all be slightly different, but in Victorian times things were not mass-produced.

Here are the hooks, waiting for the glue to set.


If you ask me why I bother, there are several reasons. It does look nicer and more natural. I am immensely proud of this invention. Nobody else has such kitchen hooks (until one of you, dear readers, pinches the idea). And I am not in a hurry.



This is of course a side track. I really didn't plan to spend my Sunday evening bending champagne wire. But this is what is called inspiration. 


No comments:

Post a Comment