Thursday 4 September 2014

Naming

Today I painted external side and back walls, which is not particularly photogenique, so I didn't bother to take pictures. It will be a long time before the back wall is attached, but it's done now, and it looks nice. The side walls will not be permanently attached either for some time, but even loosely attached they make it look a bit more finished.

As I was painting a couple of days ago, the house suddenly revealed its true name. As we know, the naming of cats is a serious matters, and it goes for all objects. Knowing the true name is an act of bonding and sometimes a sign of power. I tell myself that my house wants to be friends with me, therefore it has revealed its name.

It is Womble Hall. 

Wombles are characters from Elisabeth Beresford's children's books that were later made into television series. The Wombles' life philosophy is "Make Good Use of Bad Rubbish". The Wombles' signature song goes:

Making good use of the things that we find
Things that the everyday folks leave behind

(if you want all of it, it's here.)

This is exactly what my miniature-making credo is. Therefore my house will pay tribute to the spirit of Womblism: inventiveness, imagination and recycling.

From now on, no Downton Manor. From now on, Womble Hall.




No comments:

Post a Comment