Saturday 14 March 2020

House restoration: front doors

The two front doors were totally smashed.




In the past few weeks I had to protect them with cardboard to stop my cats from getting inside. Don't ask me how a large tomcat can squeeze through this tiny door, but he can.

The lower entrance door was the least intimidating. I had to remove the threshold to insert the hinges back into their holes and then glue it back carefully so that the door could open. It opens inward so I will need to think how to prevent the clever felines from pushing it and getting in.



Anyway, this door was straightforward. In the fully restored house, it will be under the front stairs.





The main front double door was more problematic. It was expensive so I definitely didn't want to buy a new one, but the front door is a feature people see first so it was important that it looked good.

One part of the surround was broken, and since it was the easiest thing to fix that's where I started.



I waited several days before I ventured to deal with the rest, and when I did it was surprisingly simple. Two hinges were missing, but easy to replace.




The door knocker is a bit of an earring, but I cannot find the thingies I used for handles. I will think of something.

So - after all the anguish, the front is done!



Now, either back to interior, or maybe mend the roof? And the front stairs.

To be continued.



2 comments:

  1. It makes my heart happy to hear that making repairs is going much better than you anticipated! I am so glad you did not give up!

    ReplyDelete