Sunday 23 February 2020

House restoration: reception room, drawing room, master bedroom

I am now moving to the left-hand side of the house, starting with the reception room (as you see, I am still avoiding the grand stairs).

There was no damage to it at all so I just put back all the furniture.




The only detail that needed attention was the chandelier.


 


To put it up, I needed to remove the floor from the room upstairs. I have done this several times when replacing lights, and I am always glad that I was clever and have all floors mounted on card, easy to remove.





Remaining in this room, mirror over the fireplace, and all the numerous paintings and ornaments. This is the only room in the house where cats are not allowed. (Why, I am suddenly asking myself. But I have never had a cat in this room, while I otherwise have cats everywhere).

Moving up one flight of stairs takes us to the ladies' drawing room, which is actually withdrawing room. I am not making it up, it's true. Ladies would withdraw after dinner, while gentlemen went to the smoking room.

It is in the drawing room I had to remove the floor to hang the chandelier in the reception room.



Like all floors, it will benefit from some sanding, which I will do later. At the moment I had a dilemma. In this room, I have a sofa and armchair that I made fifteen years ago among the very first pieces I made. I have attempted to replace them with "proper" furniture, but I just cannot. Too strong attachment. I won't even show a picture with a proper Chippendale sofa. So the old sofa and armchair stay.



This room has a magnificent antique mirror over the mantel, and there are more pictures, and of course there is tea served on several tables.

Finally, master bedroom. Again, not much to repair, except some mouldings that I didn't bother about at the moment, it's easily done at any point later.




Not much to add, so the dolls will be moving in soon.

The left-hand side of the house is restored with minimal effort.




Again, there is some work on the fronts, not least the double entrance door that is totally smashed. I hope I can repair it because it was quite expensive. But I am making rapid progress (avoiding the difficult parts).


To be continued.


No comments:

Post a Comment