Saturday, 3 August 2013

Fireplace makeover

It has been a while since I made something for the Georgian house. There is not much to add there, but the bedroom needed a freplace, and I had one from a set of plain wooden furniture.

This is what I made with it: I painted the inside and the base black and the front, white. I left the top as it was, because it was quite common with wooden tops, and it looks nice. I considered decorating the front, but decided that in a bedroom it would most likely be plain (I have a ornate one in the drawing room). I glued a piece of lace on the fireguard and painted copper. I made the fire in a technique that I have used for all fires, with some variations. I built a log fire with twigs from the garden and covered with tiny bits of red and yellow-golden ribbon, shaking them to make it look natural.

Here it is in its room. As always, just a tiny improvement makes a huge difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment