Wednesday 17 June 2020

Miniature baking

I have recently been teasing my Facebook friends by posting alternatively pictures of real and miniature cakes and biscuits.

When I posted this picture of Swedish cinnamon buns most friends thought they were real which I viewed as a compliment for my crafting skills.



I had to disappoint them:



Then I posted a picture of traditional Swedish "princess cake", and most people figured out it was a miniature, probably because I displayed it clearly on a miniature table.



I went on and posted this:


Of course you can see that these hazelnut buttons are real. But I thought it would be a challenge to make them in 1:12 scale.

I attended a course some time ago, when it was still possible, and learned some basic techniques. Not all miniature cakes can be made exactly the same way you bake for real; sometimes you have to cheat a bit.

First, obviously, I took two pieces of fimo clay. I happened to have a suitable shade of brown, otherwise you have to mix, as I did with layers of princess cake.

 

I baked them and then grated on a citrus grater. There must be better ways of doing it, but that's what I did.


 

The next step was when I had to cheat. I tried mixing the gratings with liquid fimo to make batter, just as you would with real biscuits, but it didn't work. So I decided to make a solid base and cover with grated hazelnuts.




This picture shows four steps: roll, cut into small bits, roll into balls and flatten.

Then I made a big mistake. I started covering the base with a mix of gratings and liquid fimo, but fortunately realised quickly that I needed to paint them first. Lesson learned. I painted with chalk pastels, starting with warm yellow, then light and dark brown. It is important to paint all over, on the edges.


Then I covered each biscuits with gratings. It takes time and patience, but if you are in a hurry you probably should not be making miniature food. 

To make hazelnuts for topping, I simply rolled out the same brown fimo and made tiny balls.



The biscuits are ready for baking.


However, I thought it was a shame to through away the failed biscuits so I made them into chocolate chip cookies.



35 minutes later:



As a first attempt and without any instructions, I think I did well.



To conclude, I want to point out that proper tools and materials are essential. They not just make the process easier, but ensure a much better result. Twelve years ago when I made my first food I thought I could do with what I had at home. Now I know better. So if you are considering making miniature food more than once, invest in quality tools.


4 comments:

  1. Oohhh...cookie! Now I'm hungry. I haven't had the nerve to try mini food, not since I was young with airdrying clay. I'll have to see if it's gotten any easier with different materials!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful work! Everything looks good enough to eat! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fabulous food! They really turned out well. (Must go have a snack now. 😊)

    ReplyDelete