Monday, 28 October 2019

From coffee pods to flower pots

Some time ago I visited a friend who used coffee pods to make coffee. I have heard about them, and I have heard that miniature-makers find them useful, but I had never seen one. My friend was utterly perplexed when I asked whether I could collect the used ones. I wasn't sure exactly what I could make from them, because they are different from milk containers, slightly convex.


But I was sure that I would think of something, and I was also eager to show my friend what a valuable contribution to my miniature-making she had made. So this past weekend I started exploring the potential of used coffee pods.

My first thought was buckets, like I make from milk containers. The bottom can be easily bent inwards, and it doesn't matter that there is a hole. However, they have large brims that don't look natural for a bucket. Flower pots was the next option, and although they are twice the size of a 1:12 flower pot, I thought they could be planters or larger tubs.I wanted them to look like terracotta, but I am not very good at mixing paint. I should have added more red. Still, I was quite pleased.

While I was at it, I also painted a nasal spray bottle cap that had been waiting for this transformation for a long time. It is more like a flower pot in size and in shape.





Then of course I had to make plants. First of all, I made a simple fern, using florist wire and tape and painting the leaves with a lighter shade of green for effect. Then I constructed a weird plant from plastic Christmas decorations, but as I was passing the kitchen to clean my brushes, I suddenly saw that I had a plant with exactly that shape of leaves. (It is not my plant, so I am not on friendly terms with it). It also needed some painting, and the result was, if I may say so myself, stunning. I don't know the name of this plant so maybe someone can tell me. After that, I made the third plant by cutting up a 1:1 plastic twig.

For the smaller pot, I made a geranium. I will not describe the process because I have done it before, but I can confirm that it took about six hours and that the twelve stems contain 240 individual petals curled while wet one by one. Since I don't have my punches at the moment, I cut the leaves from florist tape and painted a bit here and there for variety.

So here is the result of my weekend:


Last in the picture is another milk canister I made from an eye-drop bottle.

This was a hugely productive weekend, don't you think?



6 comments:

  1. Love your blogspot. I started making 1:12 furniture, some wonky, some not too shabby, but let it go. When I resumed minis, I was inspired by a matchbox and now do one and two story matchbox rooms/houses. I like finding bits of broken plastic, plastic toys, earrings, jewelry, and other teeny pieces and work to create a combination of "realistic from 2 feet away", to almost plausible to a bit arty. Working at this size is a big challenge and it is hard to get things to have smooth clean lines, at least it is for me. Just picked up mini brads in 3 metal colors from Dollar Tree and they are intriguing me! I also like upcycling plastic toys to make them more realistic Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. This hobby is wonderful, isn't it.

      Delete
  2. We use coffee pods at work. Ours have flat bottoms but they're large enough to hold a small orange tree...I'll have to start collecting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you made "living things" from recycled things! A very clever batch of projects and a wonderful way to spend a weekend!

    ReplyDelete