Do you remember the cupboard I got in my bargain about a month ago? I mended it to the best of my abilities, putting "glass" in the doors, and moved the pretty china from the old cupboard that wasn't to scale and generally unsatisfactory. (I know I am repeating myself, but it is remarkable how, when you make an improvement, you wonder how on earth you could put up with an unsatisfactory solution).
The cupboard was going into the rear corridor behind the dining room.
Clever as I am, I tested carefully that, unlike the bookshelf in the smoking room that had to be attached permanently before I sealed off the corridor, this cupboard went easily through the door.
Only it didn't. Not after the partition was in place. The corridor was too narrow.
This was one of those moments when I want to give up and throw the whole project into a garbage bin. No, actually I want to throw myself into a garbage bin, worthless as I am.
Instead, as I said, I switched my attention over to something else and for a couple of weeks pretended that the dining room didn't exist. But of course it did, and I could not postpone dealing with it forever. I didn't take step-by-step pictures because it was painful, almost humiliating. I pulled out the partition, tearing down wallpaper. I believe this is when my ceiling decoration fell off. I put in the cupboard. I redecorated the back wall, including the chimney breast. I trimmed the corners. I glued on door surrounds. All this was very difficult to do inside the room. All in all, it took me about twelve hours.
While I was at it, I repaired the crystal chandelier. To be honest, I merged two old chandeliers, simply adding six more threads in between the existing ones. It was a huge improvement.Then I had to tear up floorboards in the room above to fix the chandelier.
Here is the result.
No mouldings yet, and you can see I have just started making a new floor. I will tell you about it in the next post.