Friday 16 July 2021

Recycling and upcycling

I haven't been good at blogging in the recent months; I have hardly blogged at all, and one reason is that I have been very busy making miniatures! In the past, I used to make stuff to be used in various projects: furniture and accessories for dollhouses and room boxes, fruit and vegetables for a market stall, bread for the bakery, messy stuff for the messy kitchen, books for the library, and so on. I have seldom, if ever, made anything for the sake of making it, without having any special project in mind. Partly this was because I started attending a miniature club where you could do a larger project or just do whatever you wanted inspired by what other people were doing. I wanted to try various materials and techniques, to learn new skills. It was also liberating to be able to finish something at one go. 

In this post, I will share some things I have made recently, mostly my own design and mostly made from rubbish. I have already shared many of these small projects in various groups, but here they are all in the same place, in no particular order. 

I will start with something that has received much praise and that I am really proud of because I have never seen anything like this. 



I had been saving these boxes from interdental brushes for years, knowing that one day I would come up with something ingenious, and that day eventually arrived. As we all know, painting plastic is a h-ll of a job, but thanks to chalk paint it has become easier and neater. When I paint with chalk paint I use a hair dryer which not only makes the paint dry quicker but also makes it dry smooth. The keyboard is a printie, and I also printed out a nice screen saver, covering it with transparent plastic, recycled of course. The laptop can be opened and closed, and there is also a printie on the bottom. I made five laptops with different screens. 



Another project that I am quite pleased with is rusty objects: buckets, milk canisters, tubs and such. 




For canisters, I use eyedrop dispensers. I made a few in zink look, but I wanted to practice making things rusty, and miniature friends seem to be more enthusiastic abiout them, possibly because they need more effort and patience. The lids are metal buttons. The rectangular tubs are butter containers you get at hotels, the round one, if I am not mistaken, clotted cream, and the bath tub is cut from a shampoo bottle. The handles are paper clips. To create the rusty effect, I first paint with ochre chalk paint, then rub with various shades of chalk pastels. 




Kitchen scales was a challenge: I saw one on the web and thought: I can make it! A small wooden cube, four tiny beads for legs, metal eyelet, metal button frame and a face printed from the web. The most difficult thing was to resize the face to fit exactly on the cube. 




This was another challenge I saw on the web, but I used a full-size cat gym as a model. It was great fun to make, but you should have heard all the swearing when the bits kept falling apart.
 




For Easter, I made Easter decorations, making eggs from polymer clay and using bottle caps for plates and some other rubbish for wreaths. 




A ridiculously easy project is pencils and crayons made from toothpicks. 




Another easy one was bars of chocolate cut from a catalogue page I had been saving for years. I photocopied the images on a black background and wrapped around pieces of cardboard. 



I believe I have shared rugs made with embroidery thread before. Somebody gave me a band the true purpose of which is unclear to me, but it has a perfect width for rugs, and I am amused by inventing interesting designs. 


 

Round mats can be made with twine. 




Golf pegs can be used for many things, for instance, pretty decorative lamps with thimbles for shades. I bought a dozen or so thimbles some time ago in a charity shop. 



Roll-up curtains are easy to make with a square of fabric, skewers, thread and beads. 



Venetian blinds are cut from bamboo place mats and glued onto craft sticks. 



A stool made from that famous pizza holder, with a seat made from floor protection pad - the kind you glue onto table and chair legs. 



The plates are cut from egg cartons, painted and decorated with decoupage - I used paper napkins with floral patterns. 

Last but not least, a few things I have upcycled. You can - or could once, before they raised prices - buy inexpensive miniatures at the Danish chain shops Tiger. They are good quality, but far too new and shiny. I like things to look natural and well used. Compare the before and after picture. 



 

I also painted shiny metal pots and pans set from Tiger to resemble the traditional Swedish enamel kitchenware Kockums. Authentic Kockums miniatures cost a fortune, but I am pleased with my imitation. 




I will stop for now, but I have more to show, including a range of plants and flowers so come back soon. I promise it won't be another year! 



8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing these little projects. You have given me several new ideas! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was my intention. Please share my post with friends

      Delete
  2. All cool little items. I usually do the same-make as needed but when creativity hits-go for it. Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a few miniatures! Thank you for sharing and yet other new ideas on how to use egg cartons and golf pegs :). I tend to make miniatures for the sake of making rather than focusing on my projects at hand. It's probably because at work I need to stay very focused all the time so in my free time I just like making what ever I feel like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to see what you've been making, the laptops are amazing. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those laptops are just awesome. Looks like you've been very very productive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, you have been busy! It's all such useful and detailed miniatures too. I'm wildly impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all for your support, it means a lot!

    ReplyDelete