Tuesday 13 July 2021

Dark academia

 


When my daughter suggested that I make a Dark Academia room box, I had no idea what she was talking about, but after some research on the web I thought it was an interesting challenge. And of course the suitable format was a book nook rather than a room box. I had only made one book nook before, and I find it a fascinating format, but it has its special demands. A scholar's study would be just right. 

I made the crime scene book nook in a large cat sand box, but this project would be smaller, so a cat food box felt the right size. I covered it with wrapping paper. 



 

I wanted the front of the box to be a french window, and I had a frame from another project. I added a valve extending from the roof. 



I cut off a small bit of the beautiful floor I had from an earlier, dismantled project, and I printed out an old-fashioned wallpaper from the web. In accordance with the style, I made dark wooden wainscoting. For the ceiling, I used some leftovers of the magnificent Robert Adam paper.  Obviously, a book nook like this needs display lights, and it took me some time to figure out how to make and hide them. 



All the time I was testing different furniture and accessories. Some things I tried proved too bulky; some didn't quite fit in. I played with it for some time. But here is what it looked like just before I inserted the window: 



The writing desk is a Chippendale piece made from kit, with plenty of correct and interesting details that will never be seen in the final project. There are for instance small objects hidden in drawers. The armchair is likewise a Chippendale kit. I made the books from cardboard using book spine printies, but recombining them for individual look. Books on the floor are also made with printies, as are newspapers and maps. The chandelier is a fishing hook with some jewellery bits - I made it many years ago for my very first dollhouse. The clock comes from my clockmaker's room box; it's a large button with a printed clock face (I tried a grandfather clock, but it was too large). Just a couple of commercial minis: wine jar and glass, a candlestick, and of course a cat. A few more, and it would feel cluttered. 



Here is the finished nook. As I always do, I left my secret signature, like Hitchcock has a vignette of himself in all his movies. But I am not telling you where it is. 

 

9 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful! I need to try and do more of these. Lord knows I have enough cat litter boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Book nooks are fun to make and unlike room boxes they don't take too much space.

      Delete
  2. Well I had not heard of Dark Academia before but have investigated and it seems to be the height of fashion in certain circles, so thank you for updating me on lifestyle / decor ideas. I seem to have already made a mini room in that style without knowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a gratifying style as you can take liberties, just as with steam punk

      Delete
  3. I love this little project. However I am now angry at you for giving me yet one ore idea that I feel compelled to try. Darn it all, there are far too many truly inspirational miniaturists out there such as yourself who continue to tempt me to stray from my already planned projects. I'll never have time to do them all! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you don't have more serious issues to be angry at :-). I know exactly what you mean. My friends in my miniature club are doing all these wonderful things, and there are all these ideas on the net and never enough time. I have several ongoing projects that never get finished. That said, it's the process rather than the result that gives us joy

      Delete
  4. Dark Academia is something I had never heard of before but your work inspired me to search it; sounds very interesting and yet another idea to realize in the mini world. As always, the trouble is 'too many ideas - too little time'. Anyway, I like your nook and re-using any existing material is always great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Book Nook is Marvellous!
    I love the huge exterior window as well as your clever interior arrangement and lighting which is all Spot On!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete