Thursday 2 August 2018

Roman turret, part 5, in which roof beams are raised

Read the previous posts about this project: part 1, part 2,  part 3 and part 4.

I ended with a cliffhanger yesterday, and I genuinely didn't know how I would solve the roof problem.

With some anxiety, I cut off the top of the shoe box.


However, by now the walls have been enforced by several layers and were absolutely steady. I then realised that I should have cut the back panel to include the triangular back gable. Too late! But if you want to replicate my project, make sure that you cut the back piece with the gable. I simply had to glue on an additional piece.

I then added a fake beam made of card to which I glued a piece of wooden strip. I borrowed it from another project because it was just the right thing.



Another large beam went on the back wall, and smaller beams along the side walls.



I then had to add some beams inside the roof that probably won't even be visible, but it's a matter of pride.

The inside of the roof is cardboard (but you can also what kinds of materials I am recycling. Modern archaeologists would be mighty surprised to find Felix kitten food in the remains of a Roman turret).





I painted it over, although it won't be visible from the outside. I then added some crossbeams, made from coffee stirrers, that I stained dark.



The roof is still not attached, and I am still not quite sure how exactly I am going to do it. I don't want to glue it until I am confident that it is the way I want it to be. So this is another work-in-progress picture. You may think I haven't made that much progress, but I have. Come back soon. 






No comments:

Post a Comment