Wednesday 1 August 2018

Roman turret, part 4, in which a window is made

Read the previous posts about this project: part 1, part 2 and part 3.

I started today by cutting a window in the back wall.  With a good scalpel, it's straightforward.


I could leave it like this, but a window in a stone wall would be as deep as the wall is thick, so I need to add at least one layer of cardboard to achieve this depth.

 

A large back piece, held together with masking tape while the glue dries. As I have no egg cartons at the moment, it will be a while until I can do the stone masonry on the back. But as you cannot see it from the front, it's fine so far.

Then I cut through the back for the window.  The depth also enabled me to add a frame that looks more realistic.


 

Close-up:




As you see, I made the frame from coffee stirrers, putting it in the middle of the opening, which emphasises depth. I added filler to the edges. I may paint it over for a smoother surface.

I think it looks very nice.

As a next step, I realised, I need to fix the roof. It feels I will never get back to the partition and ladder, but with them in place, attaching the roof will be a problem.

I could cheat and just put the roof with gables on top, but in my model picture, there is no ceiling on the upper floor, just massive beams that hold the roof. So now I need to figure out how to construct this beam system and how to fix them onto the roof and onto the main structure.

I am sure you are curious about how I will manage it. Come back soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment