Saturday 18 May 2019

Library room box, part 7

In my previous post about the library project I mentioned that I needed more books and other details to make the library look like a living workspace rather than a display room. While the shelves are full, there must be books on the desk, on the floor and everywhere.


I am sure many of you recognise these because we all use the same free printies.

I also noticed, in pictures of real libraries, that there are piles of manuscripts. I made some from pages of the Webster dictionary, and also an authentic handwritten letter I found on the web and resized. It's the same letter, but I printed out several copies.



I put some "leather"-bound notebooks in the desk drawers, as well as piles of teeny tiny index cards. Then I made some pencils. Yellow Faber pencils and red pencils. It's easy and fun, but takes some times and patience.  As always, I am not in a hurry.


First, I painted two ends of toothpicks, leaving some unpainted bits where the pencil has been sharpened. Then for lead pencils, I painted the tips black and for red pencils obviously red. Then I cut each toothpick in two and dipped the ends in gold for the Faber pencils and in black for the red pencils. Dipping rather than painting with a brush gave an even edge.


Many, many pencils for the library. Some in desk drawers, other will be just lying here and there. But I also wanted a pencil holder on the desk and made one from those plastic thingies that protects prongs on electric plugs (if you live in the UK). Very helpful material for various projects.


I glued three together and onto a piece of card, then painted bright red on the inside and shiny black on the outside, sort of Chinese lacquer look, with golden edges. I will add scissors, a letter opener and other office stuff. Unfortunately, my huge box of watch parts is stored away; watch parts make great pens, knives and even rulers. 

I will also add more maps and/or portraits of famous librarians. 

I have definitely decided against the clock. There must be space on the floor for the books.

 

It is getting closer to what I want it to be. A librarian friend saw this project several weeks ago, even before I started making individual books, and thought it was perfect. But I know that each tiny detail adds to the full impression, and even though the people for whom I am making this room might never find the tiny erasers and pen sharpeners in the desk drawers, it's a matter of honour to have them hidden there.

Come back soon.


1 comment: