Monday 22 April 2019

Triang house: Window repair

As I said before, there are plenty of spares for Triang on ebay, and if authenticity were my priority it would be easy to find what I need. When I worked on Helen Hall, I had to buy spare windows and dormers because there was no way I could make them. I bought windows for my retro house because at that time, seven years ago, I had no confidence at all; today I would perhaps make tolerable window frames from card. So while I still have the option of buying an authentic Triang window, I first want to try and make one myself. I knew it would never be an exact copy because I don't have adequate materials, tools or skills. But at the moment, I just could not stand that gaping hole, as if a bomb had hit it.

 

This window is in the non-opening part of the house, which makes it quite difficult to maneuver, but on the other hand it does not really matter what it looks like inside. The frame is whole, with the tabs to hold the window as well as hinges. One day I may try to make hinged windows, but for now I will make a non-opening window. One advantage of this construction is that it is relatively easy to install and remove the window.

I started by making a paper template to see whether it would work at all.

 

I thought it would.

I then cut a frame from card. Being a recycler, I used the back of a conference notebook.


 

This is the time when a digital cutter might prove helpful. On the other hand it would deprive me of the satisfaction of precision and concentration that such work demands. You cannot think about student essays with a scalpel in your hand! I haven't timed it, but it took me about an hour.

I then painted it first metallic and then off-white acrylic that I immediately wiped off, just to take away the too metally effect of the first coat.


 

Then I glazed the window, and again, as I am a recycler, I don't use expensive acetate from craft shops, but a transparent binder cover that I save from student theses.

 

Last of all, I added curtains. There may be a way of getting original Triang fabric, but I am not there yet. I will use the same fabric for bedding and pretend it is totally intentional. Another option is of course finding a pattern online and printing it  out, either on paper or on plain fabric, but I will save it for later. A house doesn't have to have exactly the same curtains in every room!



 

Here is the result that I am really, really pleased with.






Go ahead and tell me that I am a barbarian ruining a cultural artifact.

There are several more exterior details that need attention. The timber-frame beams around the new window are missing - you can see remnants. I have added a far too shiny pushpin to the garage door. The original is a very plain, ordinary rusty nail, but right now I don't know where to get one like it. I may have to replace both. One support below the bay window is missing. It will be easy. I hope. I will need to match colour.

I am having fun, and I love this house dearly. Cannot wait to get inside! Come back soon.


4 comments:

  1. Well done! I approve and since you didn't permanently alter the original structure, a purist can always remove it later if it offends their sensibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the window and curtains look great, and I too can't wait to see inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! The window looks great and the house no longer looks as if a bomb went off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a creative window repair . Working with miniature is a very difficult and time taking task.

    ReplyDelete