Sunday 31 March 2019

Library room box, part 5

Read the previous posts about this project: part 1, part 2, part 3 and part 4.

If you wonder how far I have got with my library project - not far. I was away for a week, and now I am back at work, grading student essays. But I have moved on a bit since last time.


 


To begin with, I have added fake drawers to the second book case, and I have made one fake open drawer with index cards. It was a lot of work, but I think the effect is worth while. Again, perception trick: if one drawer is open, then all others potentially open as well (but they don't). 

Secondly, I am making books. In this picture, you can clearly see the difference between fake book spines and individually made books, even though they are also fake, that is, do not open. Once you have done something that looks better, you can't unsee. In my previous post, I estimated that I would need a hundred individual books. The two middle rows on the right, that are individual books, have 15 books each. Which makes it a total of 120. Right, just 90 more to make. Plus some more on the table and on the floor. Luckily, I am not in a hurry. 

It takes ten to fifteen minutes to make a fake book, depending on the method. The simple is to glue together two or three pieces of cardboard and wrap them in a cover. 

 

Small Stuff's printables acknowledged with gratitude. 

I deliberately make some books thick and some thin, some slightly smaller. Even rows of books do not look natural. But two cases filled with variations of just three very similar spines don't look natural either. 

Small Stuff also has these rows of book spines:

 

I have used them to make individual books, gluing on suitable front and back covers. The amateur book-binder in me winces, but it works - at least until I find a better method. 

Finally, I got this PDF from someone in a Facebook group - thank you! - book spines again, that don't work the way I want, but I have again made individual books with them.


 

There are dozens of other printables on the web, so there will be more variety on my shelves. In the past, I made books with many different methods, including properly bound, opening and almost readable books. Unfortunately, most of my supplies are in storage at the moment so I will have to manage with what I have. And I don't have a printer so every time I need to print out I do it stealthily at work. One day they will catch me. Then I will say it is an educational project. 

4 comments:

  1. Love how it looks so far. Especially that open drawer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it IS an educational project! I made some books from the spine of a used cheque book, when I needed many books. Placed in between better made books they look fairly authentic

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done a beautiful job with the box and all the details! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been very much enjoying this project. I really like the books you've made. I know they can be tedious, but they are so worth it in how good they look when done. And that little drawer that opens is so perfect! I'm sure the recipients of this gift will be very, very happy.

    ReplyDelete