Sunday 18 November 2012

Half scale

In a comment to my previous post a fellow miniaturist asked whether I was sure about the half scale. She said she had similar furniture in 1:48. Here is a picture with a measuring stick:


Scales are tricky. I am not sure this furniture is in scale at all, but I can imagine that it is available in different sizes. Just as most of the manufactured dollhouse furniture is available in full scale (1:12), half scale, 1:48 and 1:144. The latter makes me dizzy, but I have just bought, in a large lot, a dollhouse for a dollhouse, which is 1:144, and I have already made some furniture for ut - will share soon.

In my modern house and in some room boxes I mix scales, mostly 1:12 and 1:16 (Lundby/Barton), and sometimes is works just fine, but sometimes it doesn't look natural. Eva Malmsten says in one of her books that if you make things yourself scale doesn't really matter as long as you are consistent. I won't miss a chance to put a lovely object into a house or box if it's slightly wrong scale; I will just find a way of placing it so that it melts in.

As I mentioned in the previous post, this is an excellent way to train your dollhouse eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment