Saturday 13 October 2012

Modern kitchen

I have said repeatedly that kitchens are fun to make, and modern kitchens are no exception. Since I by now had so much faith in my abilities I decided to build a modern kitchen myself, using my old favourite material, the venetian blind. First, I made a model from cardboard and put a wooden worktop on. I cut an opening to make a sink.


For sink, I used a plastic container of the kind you get jam in for breakfast in hotels. I painted it metallic. I used a lid from a spice jar to make a washing machine door. I know that you'd probably have a dishwasher rather than a washing machine in this place, but the lid was too good not to use. 


Meanwhile, I also painted the stairs white and made a railing, which is very difficult to make, as anyone knows who has attempted. 



I glued bits of venetian blind onto cardboard and scratched them with a craft knife to imitate gaps between drawers. For handles I used tiny things on wires the purpose of which I don't know. I got them from my dollhouse-making cousin. I drilled holes and pulled the wires through, fixing them at the back. I glued a bit of glossy paper on the top to make a hob, and painted rings with a gold pen. I made the chimney hood from a hotel soap-dish lid and glued small bits of Lego for lights.

 
I made the kitchen table from yet another piece of venetian blind and used unidentifiable plastic clips for legs. The fancy mugs are cut from a pencil, with half a bead for handle. As I have already mentioned, the fridge is a tin tea box.


3 comments:

  1. very nice lots of uses! How can I follow your blog???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I guess you add it to your reading list on the dashboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating exhibit! It brilliantly explores the kitchen's evolution, from efficiency to societal roles, through various art forms.

    ReplyDelete